Butterscotch Coffee Cake is full of butterscotch chips and pecans and drizzled with an easy butterscotch sauce.
The butterscotch flavor is complemented by some cinnamon which every coffeee cake should have a little of.
Easy Butterscotch Sauce
An easy 4-ingredient butterscotch sauce only takes minutes to make and adds extra sweetness to this coffee cake. Drizzle on a little or a lot depending on how sweet you want your coffee cake. Some of the butterscotch sauce also gets added to the batter for sweetness and flavor.
Made from Scratch
This recipe is made from scratch but it is not hard at all to make. It just takes a little more measuring, but the flavor is much better than a coffee cake made from a box of cake mix.
Butterscotch Coffee Cake Recipe Tips
The pecans can be left out or substituted with walnuts or macadamia nuts.
To prevent a dry coffee cake, measure the flour correctly and be careful not to overbake the coffee cake. To measure the flour correctly, fluff it up some in the bag, gently scoop it with a spoon into a dry measuring cup and level it off with the back of a knife.
How To Store
This coffee cake is delicious warm from the oven but will stay moist and delicious for days. Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days or frozen up to 2 months.
More Coffe Cake Recipes To Try
- Crescent Roll Coffee Cake
- Easy Blueberry Pie Coffee Cake
- Peach Crisp Coffee Cake
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coffee Cake Batter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- To make butterscotch sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add brown sugar and stir until melted.
- Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a tube pan or bundt pan with baking spray with flour.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add melted butter to a large bowl. Whisk in 1 cup of packed light brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in 2/3 cup butterscotch sauce.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in half the flour mixture, then the sour cream, followed by the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the pecans, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and the cinnamon.Sprinkle half the mixture over the batter in the prepared pan.
- Pour the remaining batter into the pan, using a spatula to spread it evenly.Sprinkle remaining pecan mixture on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Check after 30 minutes and tent pan with foil if at risk of getting too brown on top.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove from pan and place on serving plate.
- Drizzle with remaining butterscotch sauce.