Quick and easy Bourbon and Spice Cupcakes will be a hit at your next tailgating event or holiday party. With a splash of bourbon in the batter and in the frosting, these are adult-only cupcakes.
The frosting is a rich combination of mascarpone cheese, butter, and cream cheese flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, and bourbon. It is one of the most delicious frostings ever!
These quick and easy Bourbon and Spice Cupcakes are a little boozy, but not overly so. The bourbon and the spices combine to make one delicious fall cupcake. I’ve added some chopped pecans to the batter. Pecans should be added to everything this time of year. 🙂
Bourbon is one of the most versatile liquors to cook with. It adds great flavor to everything from baked beans to chili to pecan pie.
And what makes cooking with bourbon even better? A little sip here and a little sip there is perfectly permissible. 🙂
Do you cook or bake with liquors? Which is your favorite to use?
Bourbon and Spice Cupcakes
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- water, vegetable oil, and eggs called for on Spice Cake box
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Chopped pecans for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place paper liners in 24 muffin cups.
- Prepare the spice cake mix according to directions on box, adding pecans and 2 tablespoons bourbon to the batter.
- Divide batter between muffin cups and bake according to box directions. Cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, and mascarpone cheese on medium speed until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, beating until smooth.
- Beat in bourbon, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes. Garnish with chopped pecans if desired.
Recipe Source: adapted from Betty Crocker