Did you make mud pies as a child? As in actual mud.
I loved to. Layer after layer of dirt, mud, and sand, varying in consistency. At least one layer had to be really gloppy, runny mud. After the layering came the decorating. Sticks poking out on top, flowers and berries for color. Maybe a few acorns.
With all the cell phones, video games, and iPads, I wonder if kids ever make mud pies anymore.
Now that I’m older, I’ve traded dirt for chocolate to make my mud pies.
Mississippi Mud Pie is layer after layer of chocolate goodness.
It all starts with an easy no-bake oreo crust followed by a fudgy and rich layer made from melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk. Then comes a sprinkling of toasted pecans and a creamy, thick layer of chocolate pudding. To finish it all off, a nice coating of whipped topping.
Super easy and super delicious. This pie is pure chocolate heaven. Don’t expect any leftovers.
Because it is no-bake and it’s served cold, Mud Pies are perfect desserts for scorching hot days.
We have months of hot weather coming our way, and hopefully months of Mud Pies too.
- 22 oreo cookies
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, melted
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 (5.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 (8 oz) tub frozen whipped topping, divided
- Place oreos in a food processor and process until finely ground. Place in a medium bowl and mix together with melted butter. Spoon into a 9-inch pie plate. Use your hands or the back of a wooden spoon to spread evenly. Press down firmly on crust. This will help it hold together. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt chocolate. Remove from heat and stir in condensed milk.
- Pour on top of pie crust. Sprinkle pecans on top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk for 1 minute. Fold ½ cup whipped topping into pudding mixture. Pour on top of pecans.
- Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate until set.
Sharing with the Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck