A super easy Chicken Pot Pie made with Rotisserie Chicken and refrigerated pie crusts. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal.
I don’t know what the weather in your neck of the woods is doing, but after a week of near summer-like temperatures, it was down right cold and damp today. It’s the kind of weather that makes me crave a warm, hearty meal straight from the oven.
Chicken Pot Pie had been one of my favorite comfort foods since I was a child. This Pot Pie is loaded with shredded chicken, potatoes, carrots, and peas. With a layer of pie crust on the bottom and one on top, you’ll definitely get your pie crust fix.
If you serve this pot pie with a large salad, you can easily get two meals out of it for a family of four. I like to put one of these together on a Sunday afternoon and have leftovers on Monday or Tuesday. If you’re not ready to bake it right away, you can refrigerate it for a few hours covered in plastic wrap.
Our local market usually has rotisserie chickens on sale on Sundays, making this a very economical meal.
Chicken Pot Pie is a wonderfully delicious and comforting meal the whole family will enjoy!
For more down home Southern Recipes follow my Southern Foods Pinterest Board.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1 cup peeled and diced potato
- ¾ cup sliced carrot
- ½ cup Challenge butter
- ⅔ cup diced onion
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup peas
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg beaten together with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil for 5-8 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for 1 minute, stirring to evenly cook the flour.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and then milk. Add potatoes and carrots and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in chicken and peas. Turn heat off.
- Fit 1 pie crust into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Pour filling into pie shell.
- Place second pie crust on top and trim excess. Press the two pie crusts together to seal and crimp edge using your fingers.
- Brush egg white on top of the pot pie and use a knife to cut 4 slits to let steam escape.
- Place on a baking sheet and place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.