White Bean and Collard Soup with Ham is comfort food in a bowl. So many great flavors come together to make this soup. Serve with cornbread for a delicious cold weather southern meal.
The collard greens are what makes this soup so delicious. They give the broth such an amazing flavor. The white beans turn this soup into a hearty meal.
Some barbeque sauce along with the bacon and chipotle chili powder give this soup a wonderful smokey flavor.
There are quite a few ingredients for this White Bean and Collard Soup, but it is so worth the time measuring them out. The depth of flavor in this soup is huge. The ingredients simmer for over an hour and they all meld together really well.
There’s a little bit of heat from the red pepper flakes and chipotle chili powder. I like to serve this soup with Tabasco sauce for even more heat.
More Soup Recipes
White Bean and Collard Soup
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 medium sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped ham
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups water
- 3 (15-ounce) cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups thinly chopped collard greens
- hot sauce
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion to the bacon grease and cook 5 minutes to soften.
- Add ham and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add chicken bouillon cubes, chili powder, thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Break the chicken bouillon cubes apart.
- Add tomato paste, bbq sauce, apple cider vinegar, and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Stir in the collard greens and cook another 10 minutes. Serve with hot sauce.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.