Sour Cream Mini Chip Pancakes are fluffy and light with just the right amount of chocolate flavor. Start the day with pancakes and you know it’s going to be a great day!
This sour cream-chocolate chip pancake recipe from Lisa Yockelson’s ChocolateChocolate Cookbook produces phenomenally rich, sweet, and decadent pancakes. To be fair, they really should be considered dessert. But since pancakes are a breakfast food, we get a pass eating them for breakfast.
Thankfully it makes a large batch. Everyone will be back for seconds. I like to serve them with some nice and salty sausage patties or bacon.
A combination of sour cream and light cream makes for a super decadent and rich pancake batter. The sour cream gives the pancakes a little tang to cut the sweetness some.
This recipe takes more time and effort than making pancakes from a boxed mix, but the fresh taste is well worth it. These pancakes are phenomenal.
Sour Cream Mini Chip Pancakes Recipe Tip:
The dry ingredeints can be mixed together the night before to shorten the morning prep time.
Just in case you decide to go on a pancake making frenzy, here are some more awesome Pancake Recipes:
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Marshmallow Cream
Sour Cream Mini Chip Pancakes
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- large pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2/3 cup light cream, or more as needed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- unsalted butter for griddle
- Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, melted butter, sour cream, light cream, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and add chocolate chips. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir together just until combined. Batter should be fairly thick. Add additional cream 1 tablespoon at a time if batter is too thick.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Wipe surface with butter and pour a scant 1/4 of batter onto griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear on top and flip.
- Cook about 1 additional minute, or until set all the way through.
- To serve, dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with maple syrup.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe originally published April 13, 2014.
Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate.
10 thoughts on “Sour Cream Mini Chip Pancakes”
Yes please 🙂
I’ve been having dreams about chocolate chip pancakes lately. I’ve been planning to make them, but then realized I still have a whole plate of chocolate chip cookies sitting on the counter. Now, you’re making me crave them again!
Yum! Wish I had a few of those choclate chip cookies!
My son would LOVE these…Of course, anything with chocolate in it can’t be bad, right?
These are very child-friendly pancakes and no, nothing with chocolate can be bad 🙂
aw, what cute little pancakes!
Why didn’t I think of adding chocolate chips into my pancakes?! Yummy idea!
Once you have chocolate chips in your pancakes, you’ll have a hard time eating them any other way 🙂
OMG Christin, these look so soft and delicious! Best dessert for breakfast idea ever! I bet that sour cream makes the texture absolutely perfect.
Sour cream does wonders for everything!