Pulled Pork Shepherd’s Pie is a wonderful southern twist on a classic recipe. Full of pulled pork, BBQ sauce, peas, corn, cheddar cheese, all topped with creamy mashed potatoes. This dinner casserole is pure comfort food.
Pulled Pork As a Base For Casseroles
Southern-style pulled pork makes a fabulous base for casseroles. Not only is it juicy and tender, it has a great smokey flavor. You can use either homemade pulled pork, or pick some up from your favorite bbq restaurant.
How To Make Pulled Pork Shepherd’s Pie
- Make the mashed potatoes.
- Mix together pulled pork and bbq sauce and place in a casserole dish.
- Top with peas and carrots.
- Stir half the cheddar cheese into the mashed potatoes and spread them on top.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake 30 minutes.
If your pulled pork is already sauced, reduce the amount of bbq sauce. Use your judgement for how much sauce to add for flavor. The sauce helps flavor the whole casserole so you want quite a bit. I like to use a Kansas City-style sauce or Stubbs Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce. Use whichever style and brand of sauce is your favorite.
If you are strapped for time, you can use refrigerated mashed potatoes.
Pulled Pork Shepherd’s Pie is pretty much a one dish meal but can be served with a green salad and Angel Biscuits.
Make Ahead and Storage
The casserole can be assembled 24 hours in advance and refrigerated. Just add a few minutes to the baking time to account for it being cold. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 days and reheated in the microwave.
More Pulled Pork Recipes To Try
- Pulled Pork King Ranch Casserole
- Pulled Pork Enchiladas
- Pulled Pork Egg Rolls
- Pulled Pork Stuffed Shells
- Slow Cooker Smoky Pulled Pork
- Pulled Pork Burritos with Cheesy Sour Cream Sauce
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/3 cup milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds pulled pork
- 1 1/2 cups bbq sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup frozen corn, cokked according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Peel potatoes and cut in half. Place in pot and cover with water. Boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and return to pot.
- Add milk, butter and cream cheese. Mash until creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I add about 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together pulled pork and bbq sauce. Place in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top pulled pork with peas and corn. Season peas and corn with a little salt and pepper.
- Stir half the shredded cheddar cheese into the mashed potatoes and spread them on top of the peas and corn.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Top with green onions and serve.