Y’all, this Peanut Butter Banana Bread Pudding would make Elvis proud. It’s a recipe from Southern Living and hands down it is one of the best bread pudding variations I’ve seen.
Slices of buttermilk bread are used to make peanut butter and banana sandwiches. The sandwiches are then cut into little cubes to be used for the bread pudding. You get the wonderful flavor of both banana and peanut butter in each and every bite.
On top is a peanut butter streusel which gives it a nice texture contrast and more flavor. The whole thing is drenched in dark caramel sauce and sprinkled with chopped peanuts.
A scoop of vanilla ice cream (and maybe a sprinkling of crumbled bacon?) would make this one of the best desserts ever.
You can divide the bread pudding mixture into ramekins for individual servings. You don’t want anyone trying to get more than their fair share.
Or you can pour it all into one baking dish and make a family-sized bread pudding.
A store-bought buttermilk bread can be used or you can do what I did and make a homemade buttermilk bread. It was so delicious I almost didn’t want to save it for the bread pudding.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Facebook.
Peanut Butter and Banana Bread Pudding
- 8 buttermilk bread slices, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
Peanut Butter Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
Dark Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make 4 peanut butter and banana sandwiches by spreading each piece of bread with peanut butter, topping half of slices with banana slices, and placing other 4 slices peanut butter side down on top of bananas. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Divide sandwich pieces between 8 greased ramekins (8-ounce).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugars. Then whisk in whipping cream.
- Slowly pour mixture into the ramekins, dividing it evenly between them.
- Make streusel topping. In a small bowl, mix together flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter and peanut butter. Stir in peanuts.
- Sprinkle streusel topping on top of bread puddings. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and let bread puddings sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- Make Caramel Sauce. Cook sugar in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar caramelizes, swirling pan occasionally.
- Stir in whipping cream. Mixture will bubble and harden. Cook, stirring continuously, until mixture melts and begins to boil, about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce in a bowl, mix in vanilla and salt, and let cool 15 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Southern Living
More Bread Pudding Recipe
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
18 thoughts on “Peanut Butter and Banana Bread Pudding”
Just put sandwiches and pudding mixture together in ramekins. I’ve been a baker for over 15years wouldn’t it be better to put streusel on right before you bake it to keep loose or is it supposed to be a harder crust like? N adding bacon crumbles directly to tops before adding streusel or make it part of streusel? N I’m going to make a sea salt dark rum carmel sauce. God I’m so ready to eat these do I really have to refrigerate 2hrs than warm for 30min?
Oh my gosh!!!! This is the best looking bread pudding! I love the peanut butter and banana combo!
This looks mouth wateringly delicious!
I’m really trying hard to avoid these desserts until after the wedding and it’s HARD! Seriously, this is on the list as soon as May hits. And, I’ll take the entire dessert, thank you very much.
Wow! Just wow! This looks incredible! You can’t go wrong with a peanut butter and banana flavor combo and you can never go wrong with bread pudding! 🙂
Peanut butter streusel topping? Dark caramel? SO much yum! Love this 🙂
I love that we both were thinking bread pudding today and with bananas girl! This is something I need pronto. It looks too good!
I love bread pudding, but I think this is the best flavor combination that I’ve seen! I love the peanut butter and bananas in here. And that caramel sauce is the perfect touch! Pinned!
Oh. My. Gawsh. I am seriously this close to head-butting into my screen. Holy yum, Christin! This pudding looks absolutely fantastic! All that gooey caramel sauce on top is literally killing me! Pinned. 🙂
Are you kidding me?! I am counting the minutes until I can make this!!! SUPERB!
Christin, this is INCREDIBLE! Woah, I am like 2 inches from my computer screen drooling over your gorgeous pics! I need this pudding in my life!
Whoa! This is some serious bread pudding! It looks fantastic – I love that there is peanut butter involved! Hope you had a great weekend!
This banana bread pudding looks so amazing — I love that you added peanut butter to the mix! That crumble on top just looks so over the top delicious, too!
Triple YUM! The pudding looks irresistible. Drool!
This looks so tasty. The caramel sauce just pushes it over the top nomnomnom!
This bread pudding looks heavenly!!! I love the flavor combinations and the photos are absolutely gorgeous! Pinned!
I am on a peanut butter kick right now and opening up this recipe on my feed this morning just sent me into //Peanut Butter Heaven. 🙂 Love the idea of the ramekins…licking the bowl is part of the portion control. ha ha!