Crispy coated fried chicken tenders coated in a sweet and spicy honey chipotle sauce. Bar food doesn’t get any better than that. And with this Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers (Chili’s copycat) recipe, you can enjoy your favorite bar food without ever leaving the house.
This is a slight adaptation from Todd Wilbur’s Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 3: The Secret Formulas for Duplicating Your Favorite Restaurant Dishes at Home (Top Secret Recipes). The recipe is a little involved and the ingredient list could probably be simplified some without sacrificing too much flavor, but I think the end result is well worth the effort involved.
The chicken is first dipped in a batter and then rolled in a seasoned flour mixture for an extra flavorful and crispy coating. The chicken tenders are then tossed (or drizzled if you want to control the amount) in a sweet and a lot spicy Honey Chipotle Sauce.
I don’t think there’s a more fantastic flavor combination for chicken than honey and chipotle. The sticky sweetness of the honey and smoky spiciness of the chipotle really play well off each other. They make these Honey Chipotle Chicken Tenders taste so incredibly good!
This Honey Chipotle Sauce would also be great drizzled on grilled chicken if you aren’t a fan of fried foods.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Watch the short video below to see how to make this recipe.
These Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers are a Chili's copycat. Crispy fried chicken tenders coated in a sweet and spicy sauce.
- 12 chicken tenderloins
- 6-8 cups Canola oil or shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a small saucepan combine honey, water, ketchup, vinegar, chili powder, salt, and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- To make batter, in a medium bowl whisk together egg, milk, chicken broth,salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk in flour.
- Combine all ingredients for breading in a pie plate and mix well.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven to 350 degrees. Dip chicken in batter and then roll to coat in breading.
- Fry 4 at a time, frying until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Place cooked chicken tenderloins in a large bowl and toss with honey chipotle sauce.
Slightly adapted from : Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 3 by Todd Wilbur.
Sharing with The Weekend Potluck
More Chicken Finger Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate.