These old-fashioned Crispy Cheese Wafers make a great holiday appetizer. These cheese bites have lots of cheddar cheese flavor, a little spice, and a little crunch.
Classic Southern Recipe
This recipe, using Rice Krispies, was extremely popular back in the 70s and 80s and they are still popular today. These buttery little bites of cheese heaven are so easy to make and only require 7 ingredients.
In addition to being a great holiday appetizer, the wafers are also perfect for gameday, brunch, or a snack. Great to add to a charcuterie platter.
What You’ll Need
- Extra-sharp cheddar cheese– buy it in a block and grate it yourself.
- Salted Butter– be sure to let it sit at room temperature for long enough to get good and soft or it will be difficult to get it evenly mixed in.
- All-purpose flour
- Cayenne Pepper– cut the amount in half if you want them less spicy.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Rice Krispies Cereal
Crispy Cheese Wafers Recipe Tips
Use a really good quality sharp cheddar cheese and grate it yourself.
Leave the cayenne pepper out or reduce the amount if you don’t want them spicy.
If you use unsalted butter, use double the amount of salt.
You can use an electric mixer to do Step 3 of the recipe, but use your hands to work in the Rice Krispies. You don’t want to crush them too much.
Wet your hands to keep the dough from sticking to them.
More Old-Fashioned Southern Party Favorites
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grate the cheese on the fine side of a cheese grater.
- Combine cheese, butter, flour, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and salt in a large bowl. Mix together with a wooden spoon. You may have to use your hands to get it mixed together well.Note: You can use an electric mixer for this step, but mix the Rice Krispies in by hand.
- Once all the flour has been incorporated, add the cereal and gently mix it in.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place them spread out on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each ball some with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on pan.
Want to Save This Recipe?