Caramel Apple Bread is a moist, delicious quick bread topped with a sugary caramel glaze and toasted pecans.
There’s nothing like fall baking, whether it be apples, pumpkin, or sweet potatoes. And there’s no better smell than cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, and ginger emanating from the oven. Last year I was on a pumpkin kick, but this year I am really feeling partial to apples.
It may not feel like fall yet, but put a loaf of this dessert bread in your oven and it will smell like fall. We have had some of the hottest weather of summer this last week and I am ready for it to be gone. That thick, oppressive heat that immediately drains your energy and makes you feel like taking a nap is not only a good idea, but a necessity. I almost feel like I’m back in New Orleans again.
I’ve been baking fall treat after fall treat in the hopes summer will exit faster and let fall make its grand entrance. It hasn’t worked yet.
But we have at least enjoyed the taste of fall. Caramel Apple Bread is moist and dense with tiny bits of apple throughout (I like to chop the apple really small so it blends in with the batter) and the wonderful fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (via some apple pie spice).
There’s no butter or oil in the batter. Some sour cream gives the bread a rich, moist texture.
The caramel glaze is a different story. There’s a whole lot of butter in that. But you can add a little or a lot of glaze to the bread.
Caramel Apple Bread is great for snacking on or as dessert. You could even eat it for breakfast. I’m not one to judge.
Try These Other Apple Recipes:
- Caramel Apple Pound Cake
- Snickers Caramel Apple Salad
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Apple Dumplings
Caramel Apple Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9X5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and apple pie spice.
- In another bowl, whisk together both sugars, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until there are no streaks of flour. Fold in apples.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in oven for 50-55 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, and whipping cream to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil for 1 minute. Spoon over bread and sprinkle with pecans.
Originally published August 31, 2014
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.