If you like banana bread, you’re going to love this White Chocolate Banana Bread French Toast. It’s dense and sweet with white chocolate morsels and cinnamon. Such a decadent breakfast is a great way to start the weekend.
A local restaurant , Terrace Café, makes a Banana Bread French Toast that I love so when I saw a recipe for Banana Bread French Toast in Off the Eaten, I knew I had to make it. Southern Living Off the Eaten Path: Favorite Southern Dives and 150 Recipes that Made Them Famous is a wonderful cookbook full of recipes from mom and pop style restaurants throughout the south.
This particular recipe is from B. Matthew’s Eatery in Savannah. Has anyone been there? I will be in Savannah in a few weeks and I’m trying to decide which restaurants to visit. There are too many to choose from!
I’ve made Pumpkin Bread French Toast before and I knew a banana bread version would be just as good.
And it was. Fabulously delicious.
You’ll want to make the banana bread a day or 2 in advance because it should dry out some. Luckily this recipe makes 2 loaves of banana bread so you can enjoy one warm from the oven and save the second for French toast.
Since banana bread is so moist this french toast will have a different texture than french toast made from stale bread and it’s darn near impossible to get crispy, but it tastes amazing. Just don’t bite into it expecting it to taste similar to your usual french toast.
The Banana Bread French Toast is already nicely sweetened from bananas, sugar, and white chocolate chips, so just a little drizzle of maple syrup will do. And if you really feel like being naughty, add a dollop of whipped cream. 🙂
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram.
White Chocolate Banana Bread French Toast
White Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed very ripe bananas, about 4 medium
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white chocolate morsels
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Maple syrup
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, stopping halfway to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together bananas, 1/4 cup heavy cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and almond extract.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- With mixer on low, add half of flour mixture to mixing bowl. Add all of banana mixture and then remaining flour mixture. Beat just until evenly combined. Stir in white chocolate morsels.
- Pour batter into 2 lightly greased 8X4-inch loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Make custard. Whisk eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and half-and-half in a medium bowl. Cut one loaf of banana bread into 9 slices.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add three slices of bread to custard, flip them over after 30 seconds to coat the other side.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in pan and add the 3 slices of custard-coated bread. Cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat 2 more times with remaining bread slices.
- Serve with maple syrup and whipped cream.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from: Southern Living Off the Eaten Path: Favorite Southern Dives and 150 Recipes that Made Them Famous
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
13 thoughts on “White Chocolate Banana Bread French Toast”
Wait – White chocolate banana bread?? Oooh that sounds amazing – I don’t think I’ve ever had banana bread with white chocolate – and you made it into french toast – wow!
Oh man, this looks so good. I have to say, though… I would have to hide the banana bread… it rarely lasts 2 days in my house!! 😉
Oh my. That French toast looks so decadent. I love it.
This french toast looks absolutely sinful and I wish I had it for breakfast! I am addicted to anything white chocolate! LOVE! Pinned!
Wow! This is an amazing idea! It looks absolutely delectable!
Wow this white chocolate banana bread French toast is over the top! Sharing, of course!
I’m going to hide some bananas until they’re ready to make this banana bread for the french toast- this looks like the perfect weekend breakfast! 🙂
Oh yummy! This would be such perfect Sunday breakfast 🙂
Oh wow.. Looks like I know what I’ll be making this weekend! Great recipe
its as if french toast couldnt get any better, then you come along and put white chocolate in it and blow our minds! haha
Yum!! That looks like such a delicious breakfast right there! And I love that you made banana bread french toast, that’s gotta taste amazing, it sure looks that way! Pinned 🙂
Wow this french toast looks gorgeous, Christin! I love the white chocolate in here! This would make the perfect breakfast this weekend. Pinned!