Everything’s better with bacon right? The only thing better than something with bacon is something with bacon AND cheese. That would be these Sweet Potato-Bacon Biscuits with Cheddar.
It’s a savory biscuit with a hint of sweetness from sweet potatoes and some brown sugar. All you have to do is slice one and place some scrambled egg in between and you have yourself an amazing bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit.
This recipe was the 2013 winner in the Sweet Potato Contest sponsored by the Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission. It was published in the most recent issue of Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine. You can’t miss it. It’s the one with Duck Dynasty on the cover. Can’t wait to try Miss Kay’s Armadillo Eggs and Root Beer Red-Eye Gravy. I always look forward to a new issue of Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine, but this one is extra special because in addition to the fabulous Duck Dynasty spread this issue contains all the sub-category winners of the Sweet Potato Contest. That’s 6 amazing sweet potato recipes. And since sweet potatoes are just about my favorite thing to cook with, that makes me one happy girl.
But back to this recipe, the Grand Prize Winner. Harvey Morris of the wonderful food blog Baked Chicago is the creator of this recipe. And it was the grand prize winner for good reason. With the perfect combination of flavors, and don’t forget the bacon and cheese, it’s a biscuit you won’t soon forget. I love that you just cut the biscuit dough into 8 squares/rectangles. So easy and no wasted dough.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces and well chilled
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, cream of tartar, and cayenne pepper.
- Scatter butter pieces over top of flour mixture and use a pastry blender to cut butter in until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and sweet potato until smooth.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour milk mixture into well.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir just until combined.
- Turn dough out on a well-floured surface. Gently knead about 12 times. Roll dough to 3/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 8 squares.
- Place biscuits onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Sweet Potato Recipes for the Sweet Potato Lover (and if you’re not one you should be):
Disclosure: Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate.