Now that my kids are teenagers I can’t really get them interested in decorating Easter Eggs, but they always get excited about eating Oreos since I rarely buy them. When I saw cute Easter Chicks made out of Oreos on Pinterest I knew we had to make them.
These cute little Easter Oreo Chicks are fun to make and would be great for a school party.
Truthfully I am not the craftiest person, I don’t have a lot of patience, and I can be a little messy, so the Easter Chicks my daughter made were way better than the ones I made and hers are the ones pictured. Although I do think part of her success was that she made hers after I made mine and the candy melts had cooled and thickened slightly. My oreos weren’t coated very well and I felt like the cookie was showing through.
So if you have this problem, that is you feel like the candy coating is too thin, try letting the melted candy melts cool 10 to 15 minutes.
You can find yellow candy melts at Michael’s Craft Store, Jo-ann Fabric and Craft, or buy Wilton Yellow Candy Melts online.
Oreo Easter Chicks
- 1-2 bags yellow candy melts
- 1 package double-stuff oreos
- mini chocolate chips
- thin pretzel rods broken into sort pieces
- orange decorating gel or orange candy melts
- Melt yellow candy melts according to package directions. Place a piece of wax paper on a baking sheet.
- Dip oreo cookies in melted candy melts, completely covering them in yellow. Place on wax paper and quickly stick 2 pretzel pieces in for legs and 2 mini chocolate chips for eyes.
- Use orange decorating gel or melted orange candy melts to make beaks.
- Place in refrigerator to set.
Recipe Source: Simply Kierste
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon.com affiliate links.