Mint Julep Cake is wonderfully flavored with bourbon and mint. It makes a great Derby day dessert!
Yes, a Derby Pie is the standard for Derby Day, but when you’re in the mood for cake, you can’t go wrong with Mint Julep Cake. It’s basically a pound cake batter baked in a tube pan. The texture is dense, moist and buttery and nicely flavoed with mint-infused bourbon.
Once the cake comes out of the oven, it’s brushed with a brown sugar and mint-infused bourbon syrup for added moistness and flavor.
Finally the cake is finished off with a simple mint glaze made from powdered sugar, bourbon and butter. If you wish, tint it green with a little green food coloring.
That’s a triple dose of bourbon and mint! Very fitting for a Triple Crown Race!
Tips for making Mint Julep Cake:
- Be sure all your cake ingredients are at room temperature.
- Use a good quality bourbon. Makers Mark is my favorite bourbon for coctails and cooking but there are lots of good ones out there.
- Leftover cake can be stored at room temperature or frozen. Be sure to wrap it in plastic wrap so it does not dry out.
More Kentucky Derby Recipes
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
Brown Sugar Syrup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3 drops green food coloring
- Combine bourbon and mint in a small bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.After 15 minutes, pour trough strainer. Reserve the mint for the cake batter.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine buttermilk, vanilla, and 1/4 cup of the mint-infused bourbon, plus the reserved mint.
- Using an electric stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk one at a time, beating each one until mixed in and stopping a few times to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With mixer on low, add 1/3 of flour mixture. Once mixed in, add 1/2 of buttermilk mixture. Repeat with another 1/3 of flour, remaining buttermilk, and remaining flour. Stop to scrape down the sides a few times while mixing in the flour and buttermilk.
- Pour batter into a 12-cup Bundt pan or tube pan that has been sprayed well with baking spray.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until it feels firm when you press down on the top. Let cool 10 minutes in pan and then invert onto a cake stand.
- To make Brown Sugar Syrup, heat brown sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Once sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of the mint-infused bourbon. Brush syrup over top and sides of cake.Let cake completely cool before glazing.
- To make glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, food coloring and last 2 tablespoons of bourbon. Drizzle over cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.