This Chicken Cornbread Casserole is so easy and so delicious. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are coated in a mixture of sour cream, onion, and celery with some seasonings, and left to marinate in the refrigerator for an hour.
Then they are topped with a little cheddar cheese and a cornbread topping. The sour cream coating produces an incredibly moist chicken with just a little tang. Coupled with cornbread crumbs on top, this is one scrumptious southern casserole.
I’ve used a Martha White packet of cornbread mix to make the cornbread topping. I added in some canned corn for a little interest. Some chopped jalapenos would be good in it too to add some heat.
You can use any cornbread mix or use your favorite from scratch recipe. It’s best if the cornbread is made a day in advance or at least a few hours before you assemble the casserole to give it a chance to cool off and even dry out a bit.
You could even purchase some ready-made cornbread at the store and then this becomes a super easy meal. Mix the corn in with the sour cream mixture if you still want to add some corn.
And if you’re really in the mood for casseroles, you might also want to take a peek at Sandy’s Chicken (one of my favorites), Homestyle Ground Beef Casserole, Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole, and Chicken Cobbler.
- 1 package cornbread mix 6-ounce, I used Martha White Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 piece of celery, finely minced
- 1/4 cup finely minced sweet onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Bake cornbread mix according to package directions, adding 1/2 cup corn to the batter. Let cool and then crumble. This step can be done a day in advance.
Butter a 9X11-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, celery, onion, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt.
- Coat each chicken breast in the sour cream mixture and place in prepared dish. Pour remaining sour cream mixture over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cornbread crumbs with poultry seasoning and melted butter.
Remove chicken from refrigerator, top with cheddar cheese and then cornbread crumbs. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
Make the cornbread a day in advance to cut down on preparation time and give the cornbread time to get a little stale.