Cheerwine Chocolate Cake is a rich, moist chocolate cake covered in a chocolate glaze. It’s very similar to a Coca Cola Cake, except the Cheerwine gives it a slight cherry flavor.
It’s a truly fabulous chocolate cake and easy to make in a 9×13-inch pan.
People outside of the South may not be that familiar with Cheerwine. And no, there is no wine in it. It’s a North Carolina produced soft drink flavored with cherry.
If you don’t have Cheerwine, you can use Cherry Coke or Cherry Dr. Pepper.
How to Make Cheerwine Chocolate Cake:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Bring the Cheerwine, butter, and cocoa powder to a boil. This is called “blooming” the cocoa powder and it prevents the cake from turning out dry.
- Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Let the flour/Cheerwine mixture cool for a minute and then whisk in the egg mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in powdered sugar, milk, and Cheerwine and pour over hot cake.
- Let cake cool before slicing.
Cheerwine Chocolate Cake Recipe Tips:
If all you have is salted butter, use it and add a pinch less salt.
To prevent a dry cake, do not overbake and be sure to measure your flour correctly. Fluff the flour up some in the bag. Scoop it with a spoon into a measuring cup and level it with the back of a knife.
Can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.
Try These Other Amazing Recipes Using Cheerwine:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can Cheerwine
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Cheerwine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13-inch pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, combine Cheerwine, butter, and cocoa powder. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil. As soon as it comes to a boil, remove from heat.
- Pour Cheerwine mixture over dry ingredients and whisk together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Let Cheerwine mixture cool a minute and then whisk in egg mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- To make chocolate glaze, melt butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in powdered sugar, milk, and Cheerwine until smooth. Pour over hot cake.
- Let cool before slicing.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from United Tastes of the South
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.