I mainly eat ice cream during the summer months, but I’ve got to tell you… this Sweet potato Ice Cream with Marshmallow Swirl and Candied Pecans is worth getting the ice cream scoop out during the fall months. With cinnamon and sweet potato mixed into a rich and creamy ice cream base, you’ll be wanting a third scoop on your ice cream cone!
The classic Sweet Potato Casserole that makes an appearance on just about every Thanksgiving table, with marshmallows and pecans on top has made sweet potatoes, marshmallows, and pecans a combination that I crave.
You have plenty of sweetness and some crunch too.
There’s even a little cream cheese added to this ice cream for more creaminess. 🙂
Sweet Potato Ice Cream is great in an ice cream cone and I can only imagine how awesome it would taste to add a scoop of Sweet Potato Ice Cream to a slice of sweet potato pie. That might be happening this Thanksgiving.
You’ll want to cook your own sweet potatoes for this ice cream. I haven’t tried it with canned sweet potatoes so I can’t comment on whether or not that would work. I bake my sweet potatoes in the oven until really soft. Let them cool and then the skin can easily be peeled off. You can put them in the food processor to get them really smooth, but I find mashing and stirring them really well with a fork works well enough.
You will need an ice cream maker. I use the Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker and find it works very well.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooked pureed sweet potato, chilled
- 1/2 cup marshmallow sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- in a medium saucepan bring cream, both sugars, salt, and cinnamon just to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Slowly whisk 1/3 of the cream mixture into the egg yolks. Transfer egg mixture to saucepan and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat until temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove from heat and pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a large bowl.
- Fill another large bowl with ice and place bowl with ice cream mixture into it. Let cool until it reaches 40 degrees.
- Stir in vanilla extract and sweet potatoes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile make pecans. Melt butter in a small pan, add pecans and sugar and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Just before turning ice cream maker off, add marshmallow cream and pecans.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Taste of the South.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Spiced Buttercream
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
18 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Ice Cream”
I am making your ice cream but only superficially read through it before making it. There are a few things missing, now that I’m actually making it: 1. When do I add the cream cheese? 2. How much vanilla? Please proof read everything before posting if you really want readers to make your recipes…or they may not come back!
Wow!!! You really didn’t proofread this recipe. WHAT VANILLA?
When is the CREAM CHEESE ADDED INTO THIS RECIPE.
Oopsie! Just after bringing the mixture to a boil.
What is marshmallow sauce.
Hi Jackie. Here is a link to Smuckers Marshmallow Sauce on amazon so you can see what it looks like. http://www.amazon.com/Smuckers-Marshmallow-Topping-12-2500-Ounce-Pack/dp/B0045TOMCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447368190&sr=8-1&keywords=marshmallow+sauce
You should be able to find it with the ice cream toppings in your grocery store.
What a great idea! This ice cream screams Fall w/o being cliche.
Oooo I can totally see this paired with some warm apple pie or pumpkin bread pudding…..Swoon!
Wow! Sweet potato ice-cream is a genius idea! This looks deeelicious. 🙂
You’re a genius! I love sweet potatoes and to think of a scoop of this with a warm slice of sweet potato or pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving! Ahh! – showstopper!
Wow sweet potato ice cream?! This is so creative, Christin! I’ve never seen anything quite like this!
How amazing! I have never seen such ice cream before!
I think this ice cream is definitely worth making during the fall and winter! Love that you added marshmallow sauce to it, this is perfection!
Why in the world didn’t I ever think of this? I’m glad you did! I love everything about this!
Amazing idea of using potato as a principle ingredient for an Ice cream
Well now I’m wondering why I’ve never had sweet potato ice cream before! This sounds delicious! And so fun for fall and thanksgiving!
This ice cream is so unique and looks totally delicious 🙂
The sweet potato casserole is getting pushed away aside for this ice cream! It looks incredible.