I mainly eat ice cream during the summer months, but I’ve got to tell you… this Sweet potato Ice Cream with Marshmallow Swirl and Candied Pecans is worth getting the ice cream scoop out during the fall months. With cinnamon and sweet potato mixed into a rich and creamy ice cream base, you’ll be wanting a third scoop on your ice cream cone!
The classic Sweet Potato Casserole that makes an appearance on just about every Thanksgiving table, with marshmallows and pecans on top has made sweet potatoes, marshmallows, and pecans a combination that I crave.
You have plenty of sweetness and some crunch too.
There’s even a little cream cheese added to this ice cream for more creaminess. 🙂
Sweet Potato Ice Cream is great in an ice cream cone and I can only imagine how awesome it would taste to add a scoop of Sweet Potato Ice Cream to a slice of sweet potato pie. That might be happening this Thanksgiving.
You’ll want to cook your own sweet potatoes for this ice cream. I haven’t tried it with canned sweet potatoes so I can’t comment on whether or not that would work. I bake my sweet potatoes in the oven until really soft. Let them cool and then the skin can easily be peeled off. You can put them in the food processor to get them really smooth, but I find mashing and stirring them really well with a fork works well enough.
You will need an ice cream maker. I use the Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker and find it works very well.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
This Sweet potato Ice Cream with Marshmallow Swirl and Candied Pecans is worth getting the ice cream scoop out during the fall months. With cinnamon and sweet potato mixed into a rich and creamy ice cream base, you'll be wanting a third scoop on your ice cream cone!
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooked pureed sweet potato, chilled
- 1/2 cup marshmallow sauce
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- in a medium saucepan bring cream, both sugars, salt, and cinnamon just to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Slowly whisk 1/3 of the cream mixture into the egg yolks. Transfer egg mixture to saucepan and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat until temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove from heat and pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a large bowl.
- Fill another large bowl with ice and place bowl with ice cream mixture into it. Let cool until it reaches 40 degrees.
- Stir in vanilla extract and sweet potatoes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile make pecans. Melt butter in a small pan, add pecans and sugar and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Just before turning ice cream maker off, add marshmallow cream and pecans.
Recipe adapted from Taste of the South.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.