Boneless, skinless chicken breasts sautéed in a skillet and topped with salsa verde, pepper jack cheese, and avocado make an easy weeknight meal. Served with a side of spiced black beans seasoned with cumin and chili powder, Salsa Verde Chicken is a hearty and wholesome Mexican-style meal the whole family will enjoy.
This time of year I tend to switch from cooking complex, laborious comfort meals to quick meals that can be prepared in a flash. Once daylight savings starts and the weather begins to warm, I don’t want to spend the evening hours in my kitchen. Does anyone?
I want to be outside sitting on my porch or taking a walk with my dog. The transition from winter to spring is the best
And by the way, this winter weather that snuck back in yesterday better leave in a hurry. We were wearing shorts and flip-flops last week and now we’re expecting freezing rain. That’s South Carolina weather for you.
This Salsa Verde Chicken with Black Beans couldn’t be easier or tastier and should be a weeknight go to recipe for anyone who loves Mexican food. Any night can feel like a fiesta when you’re serving cheese, jalapenos, and salsa!
It’s a simple, spicy, and filling meal. I’ve used jarred salsa verde for convenience, but you could use homemade. Likewise, a can of black beans dressed up with spices, onion, and pickled jalapenos makes a quick and delicious complement. Not to mention inexpensive.
You can up the spice of Salsa Verde Chicken with Black Beans by using extra jalapenos or choosing a spicier salsa verde.
It’s sure to be an enjoyable family meal South of the Border style.
Salsa Verde Chicken
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon finely minced pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup salsa verde, I used Guy Fieri’s Salsa Verde
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan. Add onion and saute until soft.
- Add cumin and chili powder. Stir to distribute and add beans.
- Once beans are heated through, add lime juice and pickled jalapenos. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in pan for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Spoon salsa over chicken, sprinkle with cheese, and place in oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through, 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon beans onto plate, top with chicken. Sprinkle with diced avocado and cilantro.
Want to Save This Recipe?
12 thoughts on “Salsa Verde Chicken with Black Beans”
This looks like such a delicious meal, and just the way I like to eat — fresh and wholesome!
Thanks Marcie! And congratulations on finishing cooking school!
This looks delicious!
Love love love this meal Christin! I’m the same way now that it’s starting to get warmer out and daylight is longer – I just want to be outside on weeknights and not stuck in the kitchen. Although it’s been freezing rain the last two days so there’s that haha. Hopefully the nice weather returns soon!
This looks so good! I’m gonna be honest and tell you I could eat mexican themed meals every day. I love how simple this seems. I definitively have to try it out.
I don’t recall ever having chicken topped with salsa verde, cheese, and avocado – this looks like such a wonderfully hearty dish!
This chicken looks delicious! I’ve never made salsa verde but it looks healthy and amazing! Pinned! Always looking for new, healthy chicken recipes!
I love spring and love spending as much time outdoors. I’m always looking for more quick and easy meals and this one looks perfect!
This is one of my favorite meals, your chicken looks delicious! My entire family loves this recipe.
Did you see my post, Hot Fudge Cake?
Mouthwatering chicken! I already had dinner, but I probably still would be able to have at least a bite of such chicken..
Yummy! That looks like a very appetizing plate of meal…comforting and hearty.
This looks really good Christin, and I’m with you – when the weather’s nice, I don’t want to be in the kitchen either! I love quick, easy meals!