Boneless, skinless chicken breasts sautéed in a skillet and topped with salsa verde, pepper jack cheese, and avocado make an easy weeknight meal. Served with a side of spiced black beans seasoned with cumin and chili powder, Salsa Verde Chicken is a hearty and wholesome Mexican-style meal the whole family will enjoy.
This time of year I tend to switch from cooking complex, laborious comfort meals to quick meals that can be prepared in a flash. Once daylight savings starts and the weather begins to warm, I don’t want to spend the evening hours in my kitchen. Does anyone?
I want to be outside sitting on my porch or taking a walk with my dog. The transition from winter to spring is the best
And by the way, this winter weather that snuck back in yesterday better leave in a hurry. We were wearing shorts and flip-flops last week and now we’re expecting freezing rain. That’s South Carolina weather for you.
This Salsa Verde Chicken with Black Beans couldn’t be easier or tastier and should be a weeknight go to recipe for anyone who loves Mexican food. Any night can feel like a fiesta when you’re serving cheese, jalapenos, and salsa!
It’s a simple, spicy, and filling meal. I’ve used jarred salsa verde for convenience, but you could use homemade. Likewise, a can of black beans dressed up with spices, onion, and pickled jalapenos makes a quick and delicious complement. Not to mention inexpensive.
You can up the spice of Salsa Verde Chicken with Black Beans by using extra jalapenos or choosing a spicier salsa verde.
It’s sure to be an enjoyable family meal South of the Border style.
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon finely minced pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- ½ tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup salsa verde, I used Guy Fieri’s Salsa Verde
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in medium saucepan. Add onion and saute until soft.
- Add cumin and chili powder. Stir to distribute and add beans.
- Once beans are heated through, add lime juice and pickled jalapenos. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining ½ tablespoon oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in pan for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Spoon salsa over chicken, sprinkle with cheese, and place in oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through, 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon beans onto plate, top with chicken. Sprinkle with diced avocado and cilantro.