Fall salads are one of my favorite things about fall eating, next to pumpkin and sweet potatoes of course. A mixture of fall fruits (apples, pears), some crunchy nuts, and a little creamy goat cheese or salty blue cheese, mixed in a slightly sweet, slightly tangy salad dressing. Yum!
This Mixed Green Salad with Apple and Almond Brittle is a combo of mixed greens, apple (I used Honeycrisp), red onion, and goat cheese drizzled with an apple cider vinaigrette. A crunchy and sweet almond brittle takes this salad from good to out of this world! You could add a little cayenne pepper to the brittle if you want a little spice.
Cutting the apple in a julienne makes the salad look oh so much more visually appealing.
Soak your onions in some ice water for 5-10 minutes if they have too much bite.
Be sure to check out Apple and Pear Salad with Maple Pecan Bacon and Cranberry Vinaigrette. It’s another fall salad winner!
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 apples, Gala or Honeycrisp are good choices, julienned
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- To make almond brittle: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine corn syrup, honey, butter, flour, salt, and pepper. Add almonds and stir to mix. Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, pressing mixture into a 1/4-inch thick layer. Bake 30 minutes. Let cool and then break into pieces.
- For the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and shallot. Let stand for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, simmer apple cider until reduced by half. Add to vinegar mixture. Whisk in canola oil.
- In a large bowl, toss salad greens, apples, and goat cheese. Drizzle with dressing and top with almond brittle.