Cranberries and eggnog are two of my favorite ingredients to cook with this time of year. I love the flavor of eggnog and cranberries just look so festive. My husband usually ends up taking lots of vacation times this time at the end of the year. I love just staying home, sleeping in, and having an easy, delicious breakfast that can be eaten at everyone’s leisure. It’s the one time of year we seem to have time for enjoying breakfast day after day.
French Toast is one of my favorite breakfast foods and I especially love it in this overnight casserole. It is really more like bread pudding. It’s wonderfully moist and a little custardy. Because it can be prepared the night before and popped in the oven in the morning, it makes a wonderful breakfast for Christmas morning.
We have Monkey Bread each Christmas morning, but this sweet and a little tart Eggnog French Toast Bake may have to start making an appearance. It’s absolutely delicious!
Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups eggnog
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10-12 slices Texas toast, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking dish.
- Heat brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally and remove from heat when mixture begins to boil.
- Pour brown sugar mixture into prepared pan and place bread pieces on top.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs and eggnog together. Mix in cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove foil and sprinkle cranberries on top. Place in oven and bake 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.
Recipe Source: adapted from allrecipes.com