Turn Thanksgiving leftovers into this amazing Creamy Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup. This creamy and rich cold weather soup is full of onion, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, wild rice, and chopped turkey.
This from scratch soup is simple to make in under 30 minutes. Half-and-half gives it creaminess without making it overly rich.
The addition of wild rice to this soup gives it a wonderful nutty flavor. You can serve this soup as a starter or with a green salad and bread as a full meal.
One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is the leftovers. I always try to be sure to make extra turkey and sometimes I go ahead and cook a Crockpot Turkey Breast along with a roasted turkey just to use it for leftovers.
Tips for making Creamy Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup:
- Chicken can be used instead of turkey.
- A combination of milk and heavy cream can be used instead of half-and-half.
- To make this soup healthier, you can use whole milk instead of half-and-half.
- You need to cook the wild rice first. I like to use a box of Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix which is a mixture of white rice and wild rice, but you can use straight up wild rice. Wild Rice can take up to 50 minutes to cook, but it can be made a day or two in advance to save time.
- I like to make this soup really thick like a chowder. To thin it some, add additonal chicken or turkey broth.
More Leftover Turkey Recipes:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Add flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken or turkey broth.
- Stir in half-and-half, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Add wild rice, turkey and parsley and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?