Next to chocolate and peanut butter, chocolate and coffee is maybe my favorite flavor combination. And these Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies are loaded with chocolate and coffee flavors. Two chocolate cookies wonderfully studded with chocolate chips and pecans, sandwiched together with a decadent chocolate mocha cream in the middle.
There’s a whole lot of chocolate going on here. Which is just the way I like my desserts. And with coffee in both the filling and the cookies, you’re likely to get a little more than a sugar high from these treats.
The filling, while delicious, is a little tricky and the cookie sandwiches are best eaten right out of the refrigerator, or soon after removing them from the refrigerator. If allowed to come to room temperature, the filling almost starts to liquify and get runny. Wierd, I know. Then the cookies start to slip and slide. Usually I don’t like cookies served chilled, but these are divine.
Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies with Mocha Cream Filling
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- For the Filling: In a heavy saucepan, stir chocolate chips, whipping cream, and coffee granules over medium heat until chocolate melts. Let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Beat together sugar, butter, and vanilla using an electric mixer until well-blended. Beat in chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for about 8 minutes, until beginning to firm.
- For the Cookies: Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. With mixer running, add egg, water, vanilla, and instant coffee. Mix well.
- Add in flour mixture and mix just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spaced 2 inches apart. Bake cookies until firm to touch on top and no longer shiny, about 13 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes and then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Turn half of cookies flat side up and spread each one with about 1 tablespoon of filling. Top with a second cookie. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Cookies should be served chilled as the filling gets a little loose and runny at room temperature.
Recipe Source: Bon Appetit
More Sandwich Cookie/ Whoopie Pie Recipes