Butternut Spice Cake with Bourbon Glaze is a moist bundt cake made with butternut squash and lots of fall spices. A bourbon glaze adds to the sweetness.
Lots Of Fall Spice
There’s cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in this recipe to give the spice cake flavor. It smells divine as it bakes in the oven.
The Secret Ingredient
The secret ingredient in this recipe is butternut squash. Butternut squash has a similar texture and flavor to pumpkin or sweet potatoes. It not only helps moisten the cake, it adds sweetness too. You’ll need 1 1/3 cups of butternut squash puree for this recipe. To make it, you’ll roast a butternut squash in the oven and then process the pulp in a food processor to get it smooth.
Easy Bourbon Glaze
To finish off this fall cake, there’s an easy bourbon glaze that tastes like caramel sauce. And there’s lots of it because you are really going to want a lot of glaze with this cake. It is amazing and adds extra sweetness.
Butternut Squash Cake with Bourbon Glaze Recipe Tips
Can be stored at room temperature for about 3 days
You can leave the bourbon out of the glaze if you wish and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in its place.
The squash puree can be made a day in advance.
You will need to let the bourbon glaze cool to room temperature to thicken some.
Fluff the flour up some in the bag to make sure it is not packed down and then use a large spoon to scoop it into a dry measuring cup. Run a knife across the top to level it off.
More Fall Desserts
- 1 medium to large butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 10 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray.
- Scoop out and dicard squash seeds and place squash cut side down on prepared baking sheet.Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until tender. Let cool and then scoop out squash pulp.
- Process squash pulp in a food processor until smooth. Measure out 1 1/3 cups for this recipe. Save the rest for another use.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add the orange juice and reserved 1 1/3 cups squash and beat just until mixed in.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, beating just until it is mixed in.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan.Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a serving platter.
- To make glaze, place butter, brown sugar, and heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Stir in bourbon and confectioners' sugar and continue to simmer and stir for 4 to 5 minutes.Let cool to room temperature and then pour on cake.