Celebrate St Patrick’s Day with these spectacular, boozy Creme de Menthe-Chocolate Chip Frosted Brownies. The brownies are fudgy and rich, my favorite recipe for brownies ever. Three tablespoons of creme de menthe in the frosting turns it a fabulous minty green color. Throw in some chocolate chips and it looks like mint chocolate chip ice cream. 🙂
Confession time- The only reason I made these brownies with crème de menthe was because I’ve had a big bottle of creme de menthe taking up precious space in my pantry since I made a grasshopper pie ages ago.
Warning- If you buy a big bottle of creme de menthe for a recipe, you will most likely have a difficult time finding ways to use the rest of it. I’m open to suggestions because the 3 tablespoons I used in this recipe hardly made a dent in it. Cocktail suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Brownies with Creme de Menthe-Chocolate Chip FrostingPrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons green creme de menthe
- 3 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan.
- Place butter and unsweetened chocolate in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat over low heat. Stir constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in chocolate mixture. Stir in flour just until combined. Add vanilla extract and chocolate chips. Pour into pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, beat butter using an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, creme de menthe, and half and half. Beat until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread frosting on cooled brownies.