Andes Mint Cookies are soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies with lots of minty flavor from chopped Andes mints.
For sweetness, there’s a combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar. Brown sugar not only has more complex flavors than granulated sugar, it also contains more moisture. Typically brown sugar results in cookies that are chewier.
Addition of Andes Mints
You can either buy a package of Andes Mints, unwrap them, and chop them yourself, or buy a bag of Andes Mint Baking Chips. Using a box of mints is a little more time consuming because you have to unwrap each mint, but you can cut them into bigger pieces. A standard box of Andes mints yields about 1 cup of chopped mints.
The dough needs to be placed in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before baking. The dough can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight.
Why Chill Cookie Dough?
A chilled cookie dough will spread out less when it bakes. Chilling the dough also results in cookies that brown more because the dough is better hydrated.
Try These Other Andes Mint Recipes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped andes mints
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, beat butter and both sugars until creamy.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add half the flour mixture and beat until fully mixed in. Beat in the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in Andes mints and chocolate chips.Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape into 1 1/2-inch balls and place them spaced out on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Let cool for a few minutes on baking sheets and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.