Buttery Coconut Bars have so much butter flavor and are chock full of coconut. This easy recipe is a real crowd pleaser for potlucks and picnics.
Buttery Coconut Bars have a shortbread-type crust topped with a rich coconut layer made with sweetened condensed milk and lots of sweetened shredded coconut. Whener there is sweetened condensed milk involved, you know it is going to be good.
This recipe is all about the coconut, but I also add vanilla extract and just a touch of almond extract for flavor.
The crust is a simple mixture of flour, brown sugar, and melted butter. It gets pressed into the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan and baked for 15 minutes.
No mixer needed for the filling. Just a large bowl and a whisk. It’s a mixture of eggs, sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, flour, melted butter, and coconut. The filling gets poured on top of the crust and the pan gets popped back in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Let the bars cool and then cut into squares. Enjoy!
Leftovers will keep for 5 days in an airtight contanier in the refrigerator.
More Coconut Desserts
Buttery Coconut Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (14-ounce) package angel hair sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, salt and melted butter. Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until light brown.
- In a large bwol, whisk together eggs, sweetened condensed milk, flour, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Stir in all but 1 cup of coconut. Pour filling on top of crust and sprinkle the remaining coconut over filling.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool before cutting into squares.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
6 thoughts on “Buttery Coconut Bars”
I snuck a taste and can’t wait to give these to my Dad for Father’s Day! I arranged them on a rectangular plate and put a bow on top! =D
I wonder if they’re cloyingly sweet and if they’ll benefit from something sour- I’d love to have a Meyer lemon to zest – to cut through the sweetness or spiciness like chipotle and ginger. I doubt anyone will get back to me today but I thought I’d toss it out there.
Buttery Coconut Bars must be a tasty recipe. I will have to try it in my home. Thank you.
Baked for the Oroville Moose Lodge. They where a big hit. Plan on baking them for the VFW.
My family loved these bars!
Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article.
Many thanks for supplying these details.