Hummingbird Cake with Caramel Icing is a moist cake flavored with pineapple, banana, cinnamon, and pecans and covered in a caramel-flavored frosting. It’s a real crowd pleaser! Because it is made in a 9×13-inch pan, it’s easy to make and is great for feeding lots of people.
Don’t worry. Hummingbird Cake is not made with hummingbirds. It’s traditionally made from bananas, pineapple, pecans, cinnamon, and sometimes coconut.
Here’s my version of a traditional Hummingbird Cake. It’s one of the most popular recipes on Spicy Southern Kitchen.
It’s said that it was named Hummingbird Cake because it is so sweet it attracts those beautiful little birds. And it IS a sweet cake. Perfect for someone with a substantial sweet tooth.
Usually you’ll see Hummingbird Cake as a 3-layer cake with a cream cheese frosting and it tastes similar to carrot cake, but many will say it’s much better.
A Hummingbird Cake with Caramel Icing makes a wonderful special occasion or holiday cake, especially for Easter. This sheet cake version is much simpler to prepare than a 3-layer cake, making it perfect for when you are crunched for time. It makes plenty to feed a crowd.
The caramel icing on this cake is made with cream cheese and butter and it gets its caramel flavor from caramel flavored ice cream topping. It works really well with the flavors in the cake batter and there is enough of it to form a nice thick layer on top of the cake.
Never miss a recipe. Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
See the recipe and many more at The Weekend Potluck!
Hummingbird Cake with Caramel Icing
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1⅓ cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1¾ cups very ripe mashed banana
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup caramel-flavored ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9X13-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 cups sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Add vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in banana, pecans, pineapple, and coconut just until evenly mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan.
- To make Caramel Icing, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in caramel-flavored ice cream topping and vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- Spread icing on cooled cake. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.