Cheesy Chipotle Meatloaf
Cheesy Chipotle Meatloaf has lots of bold flavor. Caramelized onions are mixed into the meatloaf and there's a smoky sweet glaze covered with cheese. This is not your ordinary meatloaf.
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup Panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef (85 to 90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool.Note: Turn heat down if onions look like they might start to burn.
Add Panko crumbs to a large bowl and drizzle milk over them. Let sit a few minutes.
Add ground beef, ground pork, eggs, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir until evenly mixed.Stir in cubed cheddar and pepper jack.
In a small bowl stir together ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and chipotle peppers. Add 2 tablespoons to the ground beef mixture and mix in. Reserve the remaining mixture for the topping.
Gently press meatloaf mixture into a 9x5-inch pan.Bake for 65 minutes and then carefully pour any grease out of the pan, being sure not to tip the pan too much.
Spread the remaining ktechup mixture on top of the meatloaf and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
Return to oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Let cool 15 minutes before slicing.