Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach
Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach is a delicious southern twist on creamed spinach. It's creamy and rich like a traditional creamed spinach, but with lots of cheddar cheese flavor plus the wonderful red specks of color from the diced pimentos.
- 3 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium sweet or yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.Drain spinach well, wrapping it in paper towels and squeezing to get liquid out.
Melt butter over medium heat in a large pan. Add onion and cook until somewhat soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook another minute.
Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and add spinach, milk, sour cream, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and pimentos. Stir well.
Mix in the egg and then all but 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.Mix in the salt and pepper.
Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
In a bowl, combine the melted butter, Panko crumbs and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Sprinkle over casserole.
Bake for 45 minutes.