Pimento Cheese Squash Casserole
Pimento Cheese Squash Casserole is a combo of two southern favorites. It's so creamy and cheesy and has a crushed cracker topping.
- 8 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, (If you like black pepper, you may want to add an extra 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crushed ritz crackers
Grease a casserole dish. (The one I use is about 8x12-inches.)Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place squash and onion in a large pot. Add water just to cover. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until squash is soft, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, egg, black pepper, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
Stir pimentos, squash and onion, and 1/2 the cheddar cheese into mayonnaise mixture and transfer to prepared casserole dish.
Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese and the crushed crackers on top. Bake for about 25 minutes.