Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Waffles
Wonderfully spiced pumpkin waffles studded with lots of semisweet chocolate for a leisurely fall breakfast.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- maple syrup and whipped cream for serving
In a large bowl, whisk together first 9 ingredients.
In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, pumpkin, eggs, canola oil, and vanilla.
Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until flour is no longer visible. Stir in chocolate.
Heat a waffle iron coated with cooking spray.
Ladle batter onto waffle iron, spreading to edges. Cook until golden brown and steam stops. Repeat until all of batter is used. You should get 6-8 waffles depending on your waffle maker.