Sweet Potato-Bacon Biscuits with Cheddar
These biscuits are kicked up a notch with sweet potatoes, bacon, and cheddar. You need only add some scrambled egg for a fabulous breakfast sandwich.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 27 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces and well chilled
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, cream of tartar, and cayenne pepper.
Scatter butter pieces over top of flour mixture and use a pastry blender to cut butter in until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
Stir in cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles.
In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and sweet potato until smooth.
Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour milk mixture into well.
Use a wooden spoon to stir just until combined.
Turn dough out on a well-floured surface. Gently knead about 12 times. Roll dough to 3/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 8 squares.
Place biscuits onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes.