Nacho Mac and Cheese
Nacho Mac & Cheese is the ultimate mac and cheese for Mexican food lovers.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 10 servings
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning , preferably low sodium
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) box macaroni cooked until al dente,
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Nacho cheese Doritos
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven. Add ground beef, onion, and jalapeno. Cook, breaking ground beef apart with a wooden spoon, until beef is no longer pink.
Sprinkle taco seasoning over ground beef. Stir to combine.
Transfer ground beef mixture to a bowl and set aside.
Add butter to same Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Once butter is melted, sprinkle flour over butter and whisk together for 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in milk. Add can of Rotel. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Set aside 1/2 cup of Pepper Jack cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Add remaining cheese to Dutch oven and remove pan from heat. Stir until cheese is melted.
Add meat mixture and stir to combine.
Add cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
Pour into a greased 11X8-inch pan. (A 13x9-inch will work too.)
Sprinkle the cheese that was set aside and the Doritos on top.
Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with cilantro.