Classic Chicken Tetrazzini
Classic Chicken Tetrazzini is outrageously creamy and topped with lots of cheese and sliced almonds. There is so much flavor in this tetrazzini. It is pure old-fashioned comfort food. Mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and diced pimentos add flavor and a little color.
- 3 to 4 pound chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teapsoon paprika
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
Place chicken in a large pot. Add water to cover and 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour. Remove chicken and reserve broth. Let chicken cool and then remove it from the bone and chop into bite-sized pieces.
Set aside 1/2 cup of the broth for the sauce and bring the rest of the broth in the pot to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a Dutch oven, melt the butter. Add mushrooms, green pepper, and onion and cook until the mushrooms are browned.
Add the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in the half-and-half and the 1/2 cup of reserved broth.
Stir in the condensed mushroom soup, sherry, and pimentos.Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of Pamresan cheese. Stir until melted.
Stir in the chicken and spaghetti. Transfer to a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.
Bake for 25 minutes.In a small bowl, combine the remaining Parmesan cheese, paprika, and almonds. Once casserole has baked for 25 minutes, remove it from the oven. Arrange the remaining cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese/almond mixture in diagonal rows on top. Return to oven for 5 to 8 minutes.Serve.