Corn Maque Choux
Corn Maque Choux is full of fresh summer corn, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes ,and spices. It's wonderfully sweet and spicy with so much flavor.
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat or butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 6 to 7 cups fresh corn kernels, or frozen
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained or 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepepr
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Heat bacon grease or butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet, cast iron is best.
Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Add corn, diced tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Check for seasoning and add salt if needed. Discard bay leaf.