Classic Tuna Melt
Classic Tuna Melt- toasty bread, melted swiss cheese and a mayo-based tuna salad combine to make an amazingly delicious lunch. Easy to make with pantry staples.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, optional
- 3 (2.6-ounce) pouches chunk light or albacore tuna
- pinch of celery seed, optional
- salt and black pepper
- 6 slices sturdy white bread, I use Pepperidge Farm
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices swiss or provolone cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced and place on paper towels to soak up excess water
Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Butter 1 side of each piece of bread. Place 1/3 of the tuna mixture on an unbuttered side of bread and top with tomato slices and cheese. Place a second piece of bread on top buttered side facing up.
Repeat to make 2 more sandwiches.
Heat a large nonstick pan or griddle over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches until golden on the bottom, flip over and continue to cook until cheese is melted, turning the heat down some if it is getting too browned.
Cut in half and serve.