Hot and Spicy Black-Eyed Peas
Hot and Spicy Black-Eyed Peas are a popular New Years dish. These black-eyed peas have lots of smokiness from bacon and a little liquid smoke plus some heat from a jalapeno and chili powder.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove and set aside.
Leave the bacon grease in the skillet and add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook 2 to 3 minutes to soften.
Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley and bacon.