Southern-Style Green Beans
Green Beans cooked low and slow until soft and tender in a bacon-infused broth.
- 4 slices bacon,, diced
- 2 pounds green beans ends snapped off and longer beans snapped in half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
Brown and crisp bacon in a large pot. Remove bacon from pot and reserve.
Add green beans to pot along with all remaining ingredients, except butter.
Bring to a boil and then turn heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Drain beans and add butter if using. Check beans for seasoning and add extra salt and pepper to taste. I like lots of black pepper. Sprinkle with bacon and toss to distribute the bacon and butter.