Old-Fashioned Cabbage Casserole
Old-Fashioned Cabbage Casserole is a southern favorite with a creamy cabbage filling topped with buttery cracker crumbs. This creamy, cheesy casserole is comfort food at its best.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers (about 30), coarsely crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
Coarsely chop the cabbage. Melt butter in a large nonstick pan. Add cabbage and onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until it is partially cooked down. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer cabbage mixture to prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, stir together soup and mayonnaise. Spread mixture over cabbage.
In a bowl, stir together melted butter, cheese, and cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is browned.