Cheesy Tomato Grits
Cheesy Tomato Grits are wonderfully cheesy and a little spicy and they are perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces so it melts faster
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions, sliced
Place water, milk, butter, and salt in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Gradually whisk in the grits. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
Uncover, add in undrained can of tomatoes and cook uncovered for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a little extra water if getting too thick.
Stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in garlic powder and green onions. Remove from heat.