Red Rice with Shrimp and Bacon
Red Rice with Shrimp and Bacon is full of tomato flavor and spices. With shrimp added, this popular southern side dish becomes a filling main dish.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 32 minutes
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- chopped parsley
In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add onion, green pepper, and celery to the bacon grease. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, hot sauce, creole seasoning, thyme, paprika, bay leaf, salt, rice, and 1 1/4 cups chicken broth.
Stir to mix everything and place lid on. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. If needed (rice is still crunchy and their is no more liquid), add a little more chicken broth and cook with lid on for a few more minutes.
Add shrimp and stir them in. Cook for about 5 minutes with lid on, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle with parsley and bacon and serve.