Old-Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs
Old-Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs in tomato sauce make a delicious and economical family meal. This recipe has been popular since the Great Depression when it was developed to make ground beef go further. Serve as is or over rice or mashed potatoes for a filling dinner.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef, I use 10%
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, rice, water, onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and celery salt. Mix well and shape into 9 meatballs.
Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, stir together tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over meatballs. Cover baking dish with foil.
Bake covered for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes.