Instant Pot Indian Butter Shrimp
This Instant Pot Indian Butter Shrimp recipe allows you to have restaurant quality Indian food at home. The tomato and cream based sauce is flavored with garam masala, garlic, cumin, fresh ginger, and paprika.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger, use a microplane if you have one
- 1 garlic clove, grated with a microplane or minced
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- cooked basmati rice
- chopped fresh cilantro
In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt, cumin, paprika, garam masala, lime juice, salt, ginger and garlic to make marinade. Stir in shrimp. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to 1 hour.
While shrimp are marinating, prepare the sauce. Turn Instant Pot to "saute" and add 2 tablespoons butter.
Once butter has melted, add shallots and a pinch of salt. Cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
Stir in garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and their juice, heavy cream, and another pinch of salt. Bring mixture to a boil. Then cover and set on high pressure for 8 minutes. Make sure valve is turned to "sealing". Release the pressure maunally. When pin drops, remove the lid.
Turn on "saute" mode and simmer the sauce to thicken, about 4 to 7 minutes.
Stir in the shrimp and marinade, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and the lime zest and cook 2 to 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink, being careful not to overcook. They will continue to cook in the sauce once you remove them from the Instant Pot.
Serve with rice and cilantro.