Jamabalaya Grits have all the flavor of jambalaya but use grits as a base instead of rice.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 18 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Andouille sausage link, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/4-inch thick half-moon shapes
- 2/3 cup diced ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add onion and green pepper and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
Add Andouille sausage and ham and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add water, milk, and salt and bring to a simmer. Gradually stir in grits.
Add TABASCO sauce, Creole or Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and tomato and cook for another 3 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through.
Stir in cheese and green onions. Serve.