German Chocolate Bars
Delicious bars with a shortbread crust, topped with a chewy caramel layer full of pecans and coconut and drizzled with chocolate.
- 1 (10-ounce) box shortbread cookies, I used 2 5.6 ounce boxes and ate 1 cookie :
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 (14-ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/4 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces chocolate-flavored candy coating, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting edges overhang a few inches.
Place cookies and sugar in a food processor and pulse until finely crumbled.
In a medium bowl, combine cookie crumbs, melted butter, and egg white. Stir well.
Press into bottom of prepared pan and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool completely.
Place unwrapped caramels in a microwave-safe bowl and add half-and-half. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to microwave at 30 second intervals until mixture is smooth. (1 1/2 to 2 minutes total). Let cool slightly.
Add coconut, pecans, and salt to caramel mixture. Let cool 2 hours.
Melt candy coating according to package directions and drizzle on top of bars. Let set for 1 hour and then use foil to lift bars from pan. Cut into squares.