Mexican Rice with carrots and peas makes the perfect side for fajitas, tacos, or quesadillas.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, about 6 cloves
- 4 cups long grain rice
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can plain tomato sauce
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- cilantro for garnish
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven
over medium heat.
Saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until light brown, about 5 minutes.
Add carrots, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, decrease heat to medium-low and add peas, salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder
Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove rice from heat and let sit 10 minutes. Fluff and serve.