Broccoli Cheese Soup
A fabulously rich and creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Can be made vegetarian.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 27 minutes
Total Time 37 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 8 cups chopped broccoli, small bite-sized pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) block Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 (8-ounce) block white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over onion/carrot mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Gradually add chicken broth, whisking constantly. Add half-and-half. Bring to a simmer.
Add broccoli and stir into mixture. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If desired, use a potato masher to break broccoli up some.
Turn heat to low. Add shredded cheeses. Stir until melted. Add cream cheese in small chunks and whisk well to combine.
Stir in salt, peppers, and garlic powder.
Let simmer for a few minutes and serve.