Mac and Cheese Soup
Mac and Cheese Soup is creamy and cheesy just like mac and cheese and if you're a mac and cheese lover (who isn't?), this soup is sure to become a favorite.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Cook pasta shells to al dente in salted water. They will cook a little more in the soup and absorb liquid from it, so be careful not to overcook.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add celery and onion and cook until celery is soft.
Sprinkle flour on top of celery and onion. Stir it into the butter and cook 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer. Add dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Continue to simmer until it thickens some.
Add cubes of Velveeta and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
Stir in cooked pasta and serve.