Southern Catfish Tacos and Ruby Princess Cruise- Ensenada Mexico Excursion
These Southern Catfish Tacos are a southern twist on fish tacos and they're covered with a Jalapeno-Peach Slaw that is both spicy and sweet as well as crunchy.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Jalapeno Peach Coleslaw
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 cup diced peaches (fresh or frozen thawed)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon liquid from pickled jalapenos
- 1 (16-ounce) catfish filet
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- 4 small flour or corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro, optional
To make coleslaw, combine both cabbages, red onion, pickled jalapenos , and peaches in a medium bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar and pickled jalapeno liquid. Add to cabbage mixture and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until needed.
In a pie pan or a shallow dish, combine flour, cornmeal, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg.
Cut catfish into 1-inch strips and season with salt and pepper.
Dip in buttermilk mixture and then coat in cornmeal mixture.
Heat 1 inch of oil over medium heat in a cast iron pan.
Cook catfish until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
Warm the tortillas either in the microwave or in a pan over low heat.
Place a couple of catfish strips on each tortilla and top with slaw and cilantro.